Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Hocking Hills of Ohio Doesn't Disappoint

     Ohio's scenic wonderland near Logan, Ohio is on the top of my list of outstanding hikes. I first heard about the "Hocking Hills" area of Ohio from another travel blogger about three years ago. Immediately smittened by her photos and descriptions, I put it on my list of places to visit. So, with high expectations, I took the Cedar Falls Trail from the Visitors Center of Hocking Hills State Park.

     First, need to explain a couple things. The trees around the falls aren't cedar trees; the first setttlers here thought they were cedar trees so they called the falls "Cedar Falls." The trees are beautiful Eastern Hemlock trees. Second, the water falls isn't the main attraction. So, I'm showing you the falls first, to get it out of the way.



Here's a close-up of the falls. By the way, most folks didn't hike there on the three-mile Cedar Falls Trail from the Visitors Center. They parked near the falls and walked a couple hundred yards. They missed the main attraction in my opinion; the trail there.


Hiking on this trail is fantastic. Near the beginning, there is an unusual foot-step bridge.


Here's a close-up of that bridge; slate on top of concrete.


It's similar to a dark cool canyon; the trail follows a stream most of the time.



Always surprising! Here's a little falls . . . 


And here's another surprising little falls.


Several boggy areas because of all the moisture seeping out of the rocks. Here, they built a boardwalk through the mud.


Lots of ferns and shade-loving plants. Here trees grow around and through cracks of the many boulders.


Here, two boulders rest against each other and it looks like the trail enters a tunnel.


I took a timed blurry photo of me coming out of that "tunnel".


The trail isn't difficult but one needs to be cautious. See the man scooting on his butt? He was coming from the opposite direction, and I was headed his way. Hard to see the actual trail here.


I was mesmerized by the rocks.


I could have returned on the same trail ("Blue" trail on map below) back to the Visitors Center, but I chose the "Red" Trail, another three miles, because I like loop trails.


Not as spectacular, but since it was mid-day and I was hot, I was grateful for just a nice walkable shady lane for three miles.


The next day, I returned with new friend and hiking buddy Jack who lives near Cleveland, Ohio. We entered this long tunnel.


With my head-lamp, we could see where we were stepping. Since Jack is over 6 feet tall, good thing he wore his helmet, cause he bumped his head.



     The Old Man Cave was really a lived-in cave back in the early 1800s when an old trapper and his two hound dogs decided to remain there when they found it. I can see why. It's a shelter with a 180 degree view of paradise plus a constant source of chrystal clear water.


And the mysterious 17-year locusts that I've heard but never seen for the past week? I finally saw one!

4 comments:

  1. Another great visit thru your capable style and approach. Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the armchair hike :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha. Thanks to you. I got to enjoy both the armchair & real Hocking Hills Hike. Thanks again. Such a great meeting & memory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...gorgeous hike and scenery. You will have to give me a copy of your bucket list as all those places you visited are all worth it !! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete