Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Waiting for the Virus to End . . .

     On the first day of Spring I arrived at my sister's townhouse in Laurel, Maryland for presumably a short visit before heading further south to camp near Roanoke, Virginia.  But a couple days later we were all mandated to stay "home" . . .


. . . and to keep six feet apart.


     My sister Vicki (center) and her husband Barry live a short walk away from the Oxbow Nature Preserve which was donated to the Nature Conservancy by the developers of her home owners association. If this is "living in a bubble" it's a good bubble to be in! The entrance/exit to a trail isn't marked, nor is there a parking lot, making it all the more intriguing.


This little hike has become my favorite walk . . . 


and today the sky was azure blue, perfect cool weather too.


     Little green leaves are finally bursting out, and puffy little clouds are scattered everywhere.


The preserve is 250 acres, 70 of it is wetland . . . 


. . . . and it includes a "naturally occurring" body of fresh water.


I think that's "spatterdock" (water plants in above photo). See the pair of terns?


Tall Barry goes over a downed tree, short Vicki goes under it.


Someone built a treehouse . . . . 


The trail skirts a pond and meanders . . .


. . . up a challenging hill.


Signs of beaver activity . . .


Fiddlehead ferns?


Pretty yellow stone about as big as a tangerine . . .


Lots of big ole snags . . . 


     When I got "home", I warmed a bowl of my favorite "experimental" soup --  while waiting for the virus to end I've tried several experimental soups, this is the best one. Soak and then cook a bunch of pinto beans in water on low heat in a big pot or crockpot, along with a bunch of Italian seasoning and chicken bouillon to taste. When beans are soft, blend most of the beans (leave a few beans for identification purpose) with a small can of tomato paste, and voila! the perfect bowl of soup! Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and grated cheese if you got it. 

6 comments:

  1. Love the photos Terri. Nice camera work. It looks like a lovely place to visit and a great place to live during the quarantine or after!!! Nature doesn't stop for Corona virus!

    Denise K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great place to live! and believe it or not, it's only one mile away from a super Walmart, so I also walk there once a week. Who woulda thought, eh?

      Delete
  2. Where in the heck did you find pinto beans? I've tried every store pick-up service within 15 miles, and no dried beans of any kind!

    Oh, how I would love to have a treehouse! What a wonderful little escape route you found there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nice little secret garden! I've noticed it's hit and miss with the beans and on my lucky days, one bag left!! So I buy whatever bean bags are left, big or small bags, doesn't matter. Last week I snagged a big bag of small black beans so guess I'll experiment a soup with those beans too.

      Delete
  3. Nice to have a post from you. Keep us apprised of your Nature Conservancy spot as it transitions through the seasons.
    Box Canyon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope I won't be apprising of any "transitions"!!! I've got miles to go . . . hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete