Saturday, May 30, 2015

Dulcimers, Guitars, Fiddles and Banjoes

     When I purchased tickets for a Memorial Day weekend of folk music at the Saratoga County Fairground which is north of Albany, New York, my main interest was to see and hear Brooks Williams in person. He's a great guitar picker. I've been listening to him on Pandora for the past couple of years. Here he is re-stringing his guitar.



     Little did I realize however, that this festival was primarily "folkies" who met every year to jam and eulogize Lena Spencer. I was instantly recognized as a newbie, and when I admitted ignorance of Caffe Lena, I was somewhat useless as a fellow devotee.  I had never heard of Lorraine and Bennett Hammond, but I enjoyed listening to her dulcimer and his guitar.


     The crowd of about 200 folkies included Mike, a young man from North Carolina who attended every year with old friends from Boston. His guitar was pasted with alot of folkie music tickets, and he had a collection of harmonicas in almost every key.


          Folkies were jamming everywhere, and I could stop and listen and appreciate as I strolled the fairgrounds.


      My campground site included water and a connection to 30amp electricity which were luxuries for me. It got cold at night, so I had a chance to test the heat strip on the roof AC unit. It works perfectly for nights in the low 40s. And since I was staying in one spot for three days, I took the time to set up the propane tank and burners. Here is my set-up; note the tarp tied down at the front of La Lair as a windbreaker. The weather that weekend was blustery with 30 mph wind and the burner flames were flickering alot.


     These folks brought their sailboat to camp in . . . .




     
     One day I took a bike ride around the countryside and admired all the horse farms  . . . . 


     My only complaint about the entire weekend was the acoustics. All the events were held in bare metal buildings, both walls and roofs, with concrete floors. They are good buildings for livestock and craft shows, but not for musical events.

No comments:

Post a Comment