Thursday, July 2, 2015

Final Days at Lake Saint-Jean



     One of the best places to bicycle on Lake Saint-Jean is Parc National de La Pointe-Taillon. It's unique because vehicles aren't allowed on this peninsula. I biked the entire 45 kilometers, about 30 miles, passing about five others on bikes during the three hour beautiful ride.



     My last three days at Lake Saint-Jean were spent at a campground directly on the lake, west of Alma, Quebec. The right side of photo below is La Lair to show how close I am to the shoreline. Yes, those are mountains on the other side of the lake.
 


     The campground, Colonie Notre Dame, is at a beautiful location when the wind is blowing; otherwise mosquito coils are necessary. Here’s my kitchen set-up . . . perked coffee and my favorite breakfast of buckwheat pancakes with sausage.


      My neighbor "Colonie" campers were French-speaking Canadians who work south of here in the big cities and towns of Quebec Province. They come here to the lake on weekends from May to October. They leave their recreational vehicles here all year long, and drain their pipes in the winter. Their RVs are permanently established with gardens, chimneas, decks, arbors, hanging plants, stone paths, and are actually considered inexpensive second homes on Lake Saint-Jean. When I arrived Friday evening, many campers had a wineglass in their hands, a nice fire going in their firepits and chimneas, and were socializing and walking around with much laughter while little kids rode two-some on bikes in scattered groups of happy, noisy kids. I could tell everyone was glad it was Friday! It’s a lively close-knit community; they probably all swap stories of what happened during the week back home. The kids and parents ride their jet skis, kayak or take a little boat out to the islands. I’ve seen them playing ball, or ride little ATV’s around the campground, play croquette (remember that game?), or play volleyball at the sandy beach where there’s a lifeguard. But come Sunday evening and Monday morning, about 130 of the 166 campsites here are shut-down and vacated until next weekend. 

     And there are many weekend sailors, too, who keep their boats docked here all summer.  This windy lake is perfect for sailing; about 22 miles to cross it. Probably as popular as Lake Tahoe in California. 



         Many kayak rental businesses are here, too, because there’s many nearby islands and boulders to explore . . . .




      This motel with rooms overlooking the lake must be doing good business; they’re expanding it.



     One day, I biked about 30 miles on another path that took me to the country-side as well as over bridges to coves and inlets, and a few little towns. There’s usually a view of the mountains to the south . . .




   At this little lake-side town, a local artist decorated the bike trail rest stop to promote her craft. I was impressed with the granite picnic table, too. Granite is one of the natural resources here.



     It’s been fun being with Canadians here at this campground. I returned from my bike ride and got lost in the complicated hilly driveways of the campground. Did a good job conveying my problem in sign language and facial expressions. I wrote “164” in the sandy roadway and shrugged, sighed, and threw my hands up in despair. Three women recruited four other women and they all helped me find my campsite number 164 while I listened to their joyful friendly very pleasant-sounding language. Wish I knew French!

No comments:

Post a Comment