Friday, July 17, 2015

Montana's Rocky Mountains

     When I approached the Blackfeet Indian Reservation town of Browning from northeast Montana, I finally saw in the western sky the breathtaking Rocky Mountain skyline which is also our Glacier National Park.



     Browning was a busy dusty little town when I arrived as the Blackfeet Tribe was celebrating its 64th Annual North American Indian Days.
      
In addition to numerous beadwork arts and crafts, there are lots of interesting scrap-iron sculptures in Browning.


    

     There was no admission charge at Indian Days, but there was a $10 charge for taking photos with a cell phone or camera. So I returned later without a camera to watch the men's, women's and children's "Indian Dance Contests". I saw colorful, varied, creative dance costumes with a 21st Century worldwide ethnic flair. And as I watched, I philosophically asked myself if life was imitating art as portrayed by Hollywood movies. I moved on to watch the traditional fairground rides that spin and turn screaming kids upside down and around, along with the smell of traditional fried and overly-sweet snacks to chug down with over-priced sodas. Every national origin has its own annual celebration days; but they share similarities. Folks like to flock and be celebratory with birds of their own feather.

     Next to the North American Indian Days was the Stampede Park racing track where horse racing relays were being held. Unlike the free Indian Days events, this event cost $5 with or without a camera. It took me awhile to get the hang of what was happening as it's not a traditional horse race. They ride bareback and there is no start-gate to keep things organized and uniform. Someone yells "Go!" and if the horse is still fussing and acting out, that rider is at a disadvantage to win. In this photo, there are seven riders; take note of the rider to the far right - he was the winner of the race because his horse wasn't fussing.


 The "relay" part in the horse race means that the rider must jump off the first horse and hop on the second horse. It's crucial for the "pit crew" that handles the horses to let go or grab those reins just as the rider relinquishes one set of reins and grabs the next horse's reins. It's split-second teamwork! In this photo, the rider prepares to relinquish the reins and the crew must grab them . . .


Here's what teamwork looks like; someone always has the reins . . .

 And if teamwork fails, this is what happens . . .


     There were about four or five riderless horses throughout the evening. I saw two riderless horses racing each other around the full track, it was funny. 

     In my experience with my horse (now deceased), which was a Thoroughbred like these horses, they love to race and beg to be ridden bareback. If horses could talk, they'd say "Toss that darn saddle, hop on and ride!" This riderless horse looks like he's enjoying the race. 


  

 A couple years ago, PBS did a great documentary about the Indian relay horse races, and the Seattle Times did a good article of the races



     I camped near the historic East Glacier Hotel at the Summit Campground in the Lewis and Clark National Forest, but visitors can visit and tour this impressive hotel. Inside and outside are huge tree trunks, over three feet in diameter; the lobby is immense. The history of the construction of this hotel 100 years ago is fascinating; it was built with huge cedar trees and Douglas fir to resemble a Swiss Chalet (click here for information about the construction).


Who can pass by a rocking chair with a great view! Another historic hotel with a wonderful porch.


     I crossed over the Rocky Mountains on the "Go to the Sun Highway" through Glacier National Park. There's a vehicle limitation, no more than 8-feet wide (including side mirrors) and 21 feet long, which meant I was just inches away from being illegal on this road.


There's a mountainous area called "The Triple Divide" because the numerous waterfalls and streams go one of three ways, to the Pacific, to the Hudson Bay, or to the Atlantic.


     I stopped and parked to walk the Trail of the Cedars.  Although it's a popular busy but short easy walking trail with handicapped accessible boardwalks, wide paved trails and miniscule elevation changes, it was one of the most majestic trails I've ever walked. The giant cedars and Black cottonwood are over 500 years old. I highly recommend this trail; don't let its "easy rating" fool you into thinking it's not worthwhile. I didn't take my camera; sometimes it's nice to just hike for myself, to be in a zen of my own.

     Spontaneity kicked in when I exited Glacier National Park at West Glacier.  I drove an hour south of Kalispell to ride a mule to Van Peak (Flathead National Forest) with Clinton, a guide for the Swan Mountain Outfitters.  I've never ridden a mule before. They claim mules are more surefooted than horses on rocky mountainous trails, but that's true only if they're paying attention to the rocks on the trail. My mule was so distracted by tasty weeds and bushes on the trail, that he stumbled alot simply because he wasn't looking where he was stepping. I tried to outguess his impulses by slightly jerking his head high before he snatched a quick bite, but it turned into a cat and mouse game between us . . . he was a sweet-natured mule though. The four hour ride reminded me how much I miss horse trail riding in the forest. Maybe I'll find a place to keep my saddle in La Lair and rent a horse periodically.

 Once Clinton and I were higher in elevation, we had a good view of the Mission Mountain range for most of the ride. We ate lunch near Van Peak.


     In the valley which holds Swan Lake and hayfields and pastures, the floor of this valley is made more beautiful by the mountains on both sides . . . .


    
     For the next couple of months, my good Montana friend Chef Renauld and I will be working on modifying La Lair (building kitchen, bed, storage; will continue to blog but in a different mode). So as a fitting conclusion to my travel-related blogs for awhile, here is the chorus-line from Montana's state song . . . a song voted as one of the ten most annoyingly cute state songs in the USA (click here for song).

Montana, Montana, Glory of the West
Of all the states from coast to coast, You're easily the best
Montana, Montana, Where skies are always blue
Montana, Montana I love you!



Hayfield near Marion, Montana

No comments:

Post a Comment