Sunday, December 18, 2016

Mont Saint Michel - one of France's most recognizable landmarks

     Yesterday I visited an abbey on top of Mont Saint Michel (click here for a map). The best way to understand this phenomenal landmark is to play the promotional clip, click here.  Ready for an adventurous day with me? I start with a Continental breakfast at the very clean hostel at 6:45 AM (included in the $21 Euro daily cost).


     Then a subway ride for only $1.30 Euro which is also very clean. It's prompt, people are polite, runs frequently, and is totally remote (no human operators).


     I waited at the busy main train station one hour for the bus to Mont Saint Michel. A young man was waiting for a connection, too, but instead of playing with his IPhone like the other young folks, he sat at a piano and played songs by memory for about one-half hour. Click here to hear him play "Toccata in A" by Pietro Domenico Paradisi.


     When the piano man left, I hurried across the street to the bus station (much nicer than Greyhound), and one hour later, I was at Mont Saint Michel. Unfortunately, it was foggy and cold, couldn't see anything! I blindly followed the arrow signs to Mont Saint Michel.


     Then, a foggy bridge to the mountainous island.  I figured soon enough I should see a huge mountain in the horizon. But no mountain.


This is the only view that greeted me at the end of the bridge; not very impressive. Where's the abbey?


     I entered the huge gate entrance (see below photo). That wooden door suspended on the ceiling is about ten inches thick. When it's cranked down in front of those iron gates, I don't think anyone could blast their way though that entrance.


     The mountain of granite where Saint Michel sits was designed as a feudal society accessible by boat; the Abbey and monastery are at the top and the stores and homes (now also hotels and restaurants) are at the bottom of the mountain. It looks like this 3D depiction.


     There are cobblestone alleys  (red in photo above) that switchback their way to the top, and there are stone steps (depicted as white paths on the left side) that get you quickly to the abbey. I took the stone steps up, and took the switchback alleys down. These are views as I climbed all those stone steps.











I know I must be near the top, but why can't I see the abbey!? And then voila! there it is . . .  it's still quite a ways up there.



     At first, I was disappointed about the fog. But once inside this abbey, it was magnificent. I took too many photos, like a kid in a candy store. And since I can't bear to toss these awesome photos, I've decided to compile the photos in chronological order with the audio of the nuns' mass held while I was there.

Click here to begin the slideshow.


     Travelers can stay here at hotels on the island, but the downside of staying here is no bellhop. You have to trudge your own luggage up all those steps. She was not a happy lady when I passed her going down.


The hotels have a lot of ambience of course.




      Coming back off the mountain, I opted for the shuttle to the mainland to wait for the bus back to Rennes. This shuttle bus never turns around; it changes mirrors and driver seats in both ends!


Back at Rennes, I got to see Christmas lights.


It was still foggy, too.


Tomorrow I board a train for a little village and say Au'Voir to Rennes.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pics. I love that place. We stayed there overnight back in April 2008. Got to see the tidal bore come in early in the morning. An impressive sight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful place! you lucked out with a good weather and views on your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Lovely scenes and equally lovely photography

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri,
    everything about your stay in Rennes is shrouded in a beautiful light, as though through a special 'French' lens. The reflections on the SArthe River capture something indescribeable...the one photo with scudding clouds and a soft reflection looks as much like a painting as any painting, as silly as that sounds. What a way to spend the holidays without the usual distractions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! I noticed the same phenomenon 3 yrs ago when Scot friend Max and I were dog-sitting and walking the country-side roads for a couple months. For some reason, there's a special soft filtering of light, similar to an impressionist painting. Have no explanation for it.

      Delete