Thursday, December 15, 2016

Rennes, Capital of the Brittany Region of France

     Three years ago I spent a couple months in the center of France, the Centre Val-de-Loire Region, and loved its castles, cathedrals, and countryside villages. I vowed to return someday to the explore the Brittany region which is in the northwestern part of France near the English Channel. What's unique about this area is its Celtic heritage. Air Canada steeply discounted its USA to Paris route, so voila, I'm in France for the Holidays!

     The capital of the Brittany region is Rennes. I'm staying at a hostel located very near center city (click here for map).  The hostel is far right in below photo, facing a canal.



     My first day here, I decided to do a walking tour of Rennes, and brought along my mask, snorkel and bathing suit; Plan B if Plan A got boring. There's an indoor pool in Rennes.


But Plan A never got boring . . .



     A Canal with several locks was made for the Vilaine River which is navigable to the Atlantic. The canal project began in Rennes in 1540. The above photo looks east, below photo looks west.


The entire canal to the Atlantic wasn't finished until the 1800s.


I love the old walls in this city.


Who crafted these beautiful walls?


And who crafted these round stone buildings?


     This old round building was fortunately left standing, it's the backside view of the Mordelles Gates, entry way to the city during the Middle Ages, built in 1440. 



I loved walking down little winding cobblestone streets.


Boutiques, bars, restaurants everywhere.


I notice the French like dark clothes and many wear boots.


This store sells only boots!


I could stroll these cobblestone streets every day!


A few neighborhoods of the city are lined with 15th Century Tudor Style buildings.


My former house in Harrisburg (1913 construction) was Tudor Style, too.


I smelled chocolate, perfumes, and breads while walking down these streets. Maybe I'll rent one of those bikes soon.


All dark attire and boots, with a colorful scarf of course; very French!


Restaurants have vinyl and canvas protection for outdoor diners.


Le Restaurant Caractere has a lot of ambience. I think the French invented ambience.


Another cobblestone street wins my exploratory heart!



I couldn't stop myself!


     This carousel is very old, the wood is cracked and the paint is crackled. Loads of ambience! Who wouldn't want to ride this pink pig? and the White Swan?


I walked through Thabor Parc on my way back to the hostel.


A wonderful park with informal and formal areas; below is a clump of bamboo.


This Blue Atlas Cedar is the 23rd largest Atlas Cedar in the world.


 Lots of steps with ambience . . .


Instead of removing an old tree, they transformed it into a jungle gym for kids. See the round building in the upper left? That's a bird menagerie.


Parakeets eating fruits.


Roosting together with ruffled feathers on this coolish day.



This magpie was visiting nearby.


 A nice little water falls in the park to conclude a five hour walk . . .



4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful old city. So little wonder why you just couldn't stop putting one foot in front of the other. So envious - nothing even close to this in the US let alone Montana..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, nothing close! I added a couple more photos since publishing by the way. That "old round wall" I mentioned with a photo, turns out it's what's left of the Mordelles Gate built in 1440, so I edited the explanation to include that tidbit of info. I knew it was OLD but I didn't know it was almost 600 years old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had just one word to describe this city, it would be "humbling". I think just about anyone would understand why Rennes has captured your heart. I know it's captured mine just through your pictures!

      Delete
    2. Yep, day three and I'm ready to nominate Rennes as the best little city for an old lady to retire happily . . . it's got everything, great public transportation, quick easy access to Paris, university kids who are vibrant, a subway system with no smart alexs, a walkable and bikeable city, and wonderful history in your face.

      Delete