Thursday, July 19, 2018

This place matters! Crawfordsville, Indiana

     It didn't take me long to fall in love with Crawfordsville, Indiana. Reason numero uno, the indoor swimming pool! It's an amazing 50 meters long, the water temperature is perfect for serious lap swimmers, and it's never too crowded.
  


Reason numero dos . . . local produce! Valentino who immigrated here from Italy 12 years ago is proud of his large tomatoes.


And his love for his greenhouse is infectious.


He's got a restaurant in town operated by his wife and son, and a produce stand just outside of town.


     Reason numero tres, Crawfordsville has a great ProMaster certified service department; Brent Fields is their service manager (below photo) and Jeff Mowbray is their extremely efficient advisor. The York Chrysler-Dodge dealership in Crawfordsville replaced my fuel pump assembly (had a short, covered by warranty) after over-nighting the part I needed. They let me camp there for four nights and I could use my van to go places when they weren't working on it.


     Reason numero cuatro . . . the soothing train toots and the Amtrak train. Five days weekly, a passenger train goes to either Indianapolis or Chicago. Amtrak is a great alternative for old folks who don't want to (or can't) drive to another state, or to just take the train to the Chicago or Indianapolis International Airports and skip the longterm airport parking charges. It's something of a rarity to have a passenger train stop right in your own little town. 



    Reason numero cinco . . . summer weather is perfect for porch or deck sitting and to eat or grill outdoors without annoying heat, biting bugs and insects. Can't do this in East Texas. For a couple of nights in La Lair, I used two blankets.



Reason numero seis . . . home pride is evident.


Reason numero siete . . . extended library hours and no dang parking meters downtown!


     Reason numero ocho . . . a horse boarding farm six miles from town! The horsewoman-in-charge also favors pastures over stalls. And in town, there's a hospital, and at least two major grocery stores and major national retail places. In East Texas where I live, it's 27 miles to a major grocery store. And in a medical emergency, I'd be lucky to be arrive to the emergency room a couple hours later.

Reason numero nueve . . . very friendly city hall employees. I enquired how to demolish this wreck (photo below) and build a house on a lot for sale in town. Very helpful staff.

Reason numero diez . . . great cell phone and over-the-air free television reception! I don't have these luxuries at East Texas. 


So, am I smitten by this charming town or not? Maybe it's time for this old gal to upgrade her senior life.

3 comments:

  1. She really knows how to capture the flavor of a place like this. Almost makes me want to move there! GREAT job Terri!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! You sound smitten. When's the move date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously looking at that lot. Thinking maybe build a frame/roof next year if I get the lot? use the frame for storage? then sell my place? then find contractor to build new place? I'd go in small steps over a few years . . .

      Delete