Friday, May 27, 2016

Boring Places are Challenging

     It's not often that I visit a boring place. The reason I camped at the Jackson County Fairgrounds is because I have reservations four days from now, further north at Hocking Hills, Ohio. So, I'm biding my time here with big rigs.


     The fairgrounds has a racing track that's used by amateur harness racers.  The horses are kept in stalls near the track, but while I was there, only two horses were removed from their small individual stalls to race. I didn't see any nearby pastures. It was kinda sad.


     The man in the photo above warned me to keep my bicycle out of the horse's view. His horse spooked easily. When I hid my bike and stood outside the fence to take the above photo (very zoomed), his horse spooked sideways when it passed me standing about 30 feet away. I tried to be as unmoveable and invisible as possible, yet the horse spooked sideways every time it passed me. Obviously the horse rarely sees people standing at the fence along the track. My bike and I sneaked out of the track; probably to the cart rider's relief.

     I decided to bike to Lake Alma State Park about four miles from the Fairgrounds. I started out on the main highway, and happened to glance to the left. Was that a dedicated bike trail??!!! Couldn't believe my eyes! This trail led directly to the Lake Alma State Park.


     But the bike trail is the best part of Lake Alma State Park. It's just a pond with $28 p/night high-price camping spots for big rigs parked too close together.


There are short, dried mud-trails in the woods around the Park.



     Back in Wellston at the friendly Krogers Grocery Store (perhaps the smallest Krogers in the USA), I asked the clerk if I was hearing head-noises. Outside I heard the sounds of millions of geese in the very far distance. Could be Cicadas, we have them in Texas, but the noise here never stops. She told me it was the 17-year locusts (click on link for interesting recent news article). I'm not sure if anyone actually sees these locusts in town, but somewhere nearby, there must be millions of them. Supposedly full of protein, gluten-free, low-fat and low-carb, cicadas and locusts were a food source by Native Americans and are still eaten by humans in many countries, including China. Sounds yummy, seriously.

     I've spent enough time here, trying to make it interesting. Time to move on!


2 comments:

  1. Hi! You visited the town to which I have been several times, as my sister-in-law's mother lived there for many years until her passing last year. A wonderful lady to know! And, I also noted the local Kroger store. I believe it is the original store of the corporation. Continued good wishes for a successful and interesting journey! George

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to research that little Krogers store! I figured it was one of the original stores. Thanks for sharing your story George.

    ReplyDelete