Monday, May 9, 2016

D-Day from Hot, Muggy, Buggy East Texas

     I love my cottage in East Texas during the winter months, but now that I'm retired, I'm outta there as soon as it gets hot! My D-Day, Departure Day, from Texas' hot, muggy, buggy weather was the 4th of May. I drove only 300 miles north to this view. Looks like the Smoky Mountains, eh?


     This mountain range is Oklahoma's Winding Stair Mountain located in the southeast portion of the state. Surprised me, too, but more surprisingly, this mountain range is only one day's drive north of my cottage. Next time I need a "mountain fix" while I'm at my cottage (elevation 250 feet) I'm going to come here (elevation 1900 plus feet).

     When I drove into Winding Stair Campground, the views were outstanding. And it was cool, breezy, bug-less, no mosquitoes, no gnats, and only two other campers. This campground isn't popular with big rigs because there's no water faucets, no electricity and no sewage service. My ideal place! I quickly decided to stay five days, next to this funny looking tree. 



     Fortunately, Chef Renauld from Montana had Priority Mailed me a Bonne Voyage Package before I left Texas, so I had plenty of food for five days. For brunch, I had fresh chives and salmon with a veggie omelette for three mornings, thank you Chef Renauld :)



       I chose a camp site next to the Mountain-Top Loop trail which is a two mile hike on the ridge of a portion of the Talimena National Scenic Byway. That's La Lair in the background.



This loop trail is wonderfully mossy and shady.



 

The path is serene looking, but it's quite noisy.






With every step I took, little pine cones cracked, acorns popped, twigs snapped, and oak leaves crunched . . . . . . no need for bear bells here!




     But just in case I did surprise a bear, I was prepared with a loud door stop alarm on my helmet, and 35-foot range bear spray in my camelbak. Why the helmet? Because a little wind will shake out dead branches above. Trust me, there's widow-makers everywhere in a forest, just look up. I learned that from my tent-camping days.




Always something interesting growing . . . .




     My five days at this campground at 1900 feet elevation went by pleasantly and quickly. I never tired of the Mountain Top Loop Trail; walked it everyday and twice one day. Also met an interesting 81-year old pop-up camper from Kansas, too. He's proof that we're never too old to enjoy camping in the mountains.





8 comments:

  1. Hi Happy Camper, Looks like you are off to a great start for 2016 "La Lair on Wheels" Season. Great views, good food (thanks Ron), and mountain-top trails begging to be explored. Nice photos, Terri! Take care. JF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure we have mountains in Montana, but none of those beautiful oak/hickory hardwood forests. Nice!
    The 81 year old camper is an inspiration to all retired folks. Keep on truckin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shhh.... Don't tell all those Texans about the Ozarks....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...now, Terry, you can tell 'em about the Heart of the Ozarks: The Buffalo River!! Happy travels. Good to meet you on the River yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did Lost Valley today, nice! Going to Hemmed-in Hallow tomorrow, really glad you're planning my adventures :) Thanks Sherm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go, girl! Climb every mountain, search high and low, follow every byway, every path you know!
    Not original, but well meant! George

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you make it to Hemmed-in Hollow Falls yesterday?

    ReplyDelete