Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Climate Regions in Washington State

     From Canada, I re-entered the USA near the northeastern corner of Washington State. I've traveled to many states but I've never been to Washington State. So I didn't have a clue about its weather pattern, other than Seattle being perpetually rainy and cloudy.




At first glance, northeastern Washington State doesn't look much different than northern Idaho.


But the scenery changed as I proceeded westward (click here for route).


For the first time since leaving Louisiana more than two months ago, I turned on La Lair's AC. It was plenty hot enough to dry out those hay bales.


     At the tiny village of Tonasket, I fixed brunch. Nearby was the police station. I was impressed with the town's "coat of arms" on their front door. Does your hometown have one? Mine doesn't because it lacks pride and an identity.


Soon there were almost tree-less hills.


Some places looked like previous fire damage.


Or perhaps pine beetle damage long ago? Fortunately there's re-growth of seedlings.


I suspect the homestead (lower left corner in photo below) irrigates their lawn. It's the only patch of green.


I noticed extensive irrigation systems.


Apple and cherry orchards; lots of fruits are grown here.


All irrigated of course.


Irrigated orchards surrounded by dry parched land.


     Climate zones have always interested me, mostly because I dislike living in too hot, too humid, too dry, or too cold places, and I'm always looking for "just right" places. Here's Washington State's climate zones (below illustration). The dark green is Temperate Coniferous Forests. The pink zone is Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forests and the mustard zone is Temperate Grasslands, Savannas, Shrubland. I was driving through the mustard zone (also a fire-prone area).


I needed to find a camping spot in the green zone!


Somewhere perhaps in the North Cascades National Park.


     But it was the July 4th extended weekend. People and vehicles were everywhere. 


     Methow River was especially popular during the hot holiday weekend with rafters. Had I planned more, I would have joined them. Below photo is Diablo Lake; turquoise for the same reason Canada's Lake Louise is turquoise. 


Campgrounds were full everywhere, so I kept driving until I reached Skagit Bay which is in the green zone!


It was a long day of driving, way too long!

Coming up next, a place to call "home" for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment