Monday, July 3, 2017

Canada's Picturesque Mountain Lakeside Highway 23

     From the moment I departed unpleasant Highway One at Revelstoke on this one-lane-only bridge . . . . 



. . . I knew I was going to love this departure from the maddeningly furious and fast Highway One. 
     My first stop is way off the grid, Begbie Falls. It's located down a one-track gravel road with big pot holes. I spent the night there.


     I had planned to hike to the falls, but I saw this fresh bear scat not too far from where I parked for the night.


I have bear spray, but I wasn't in the mood to use it.
Decided to continue south on Highway 23 (click here for route).


Mountains and lakes everywhere.


Boarded a free ferry at Shelter Bay; fairly long ride, about 30 minutes.


View from my passenger window during the crossing.


View from my front window; approaching the east side dock.


I pulled over so all the vehicles on the ferry could get ahead of me. I wanted to savor this road!


     Since the next wave of vehicles behind me was at least an hour away (the next ferry), I could stop anywhere, anyplace, having the road almost to myself. When a rock outcropping looked unique, I just pulled over to photo it.


Close-up of above pretty rock design.


This is the prettiest roadside waterfall I've seen in awhile.


Highway 23 is so "un-crowded" that long-distance bicyclists feel free to stop and talk along the road.


Highway 23 eventually takes me to Nakusp.


Nakusp is proud of its history.


I accidentally found the town's museum; the town's library is above it.


     The library didn't open until Noon so I had half an hour to wander around 5,500 pieces of historical artifacts. Know what this is?


It's a snowshoe for a horse.

This lady (below) is the town's whistle lady and museum volunteer. Everyday at 11:30 AM she prepares the whistle to blow at Noon.


The whistle was salvaged from the SS Minto. It actually sounds more like a fog horn than a whistle.


The museum has a miniature replica of the SS Minto.


Coming up in my next post, another picturesque mountain-lakeside Canadian village.



No comments:

Post a Comment