Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Acadia National Park's Northeast Culture

     I hadn't planned to visit Acadia National Park, just a bunch of rocks and the ocean, so what? But folks told me I must visit the beautiful park, so I made reservations. Because it was their busy time of the year, I couldn't reserve six consecutive days at one campsite, so I made three two-day reservations at two different campgrounds.
     My first check-in meant waiting in line; I was number four and about seven cars were behind me. Each vehicle's registration took about five minutes.


     Everyone is advised to take the free shuttle busses to avoid traffic congestions. So I studied and compared the bike and hike trail map with the bus schedule map which offered seven different routes (color-coded). Little kids at the bus stops helped me decide.


On the bus, it was often standing room only.


Usually transfers are necessary, which means another wait.


When will the bus arrive? There is a sign at each stop that will give ETAs for each bus.


Just one look at all the traffic convinced me the bus was a good decision.


There were large parking lots at several bus depot stations. Perhaps at least 500 maybe 750 parked vehicles at each station.


Bikes, paddle boards and kayaks on every other vehicle it seems.


The favored bus stop was Sand Beach because of the rocks.


I did my best to enjoy it too, but the ocean was way too cold.


This guy seems to be zoning everyone out with a warm beer and earbuds.


     Late in Day Two of my Acadia adventure, I realized a majority of the campers hailed from mostly the Northeast. To them, Acadia's crowds and traffic are nothing out of the ordinary. That was my "A ha!" moment. Next post, a new mindset about Acadia.

No comments:

Post a Comment