Thursday, August 11, 2016

Acadia Rocks

     Acadia National Park is 47,000 acres. Once you get there on a crowded bus, there are plenty of trails, for both hiking and biking, and plenty of fresh water lakes to swim or paddle. I swam and paddled in three of them. And of course, plenty of those iconic rocks along the ocean shorelines to explore.



      I asked a Park Ranger how many people get hurt every day, and he said "At least one ambulance run daily, sometimes more, it goes in spurts".


     I saw several artists with easels on the rocks, and I can understand the artisan urge. Probably cubist style?


There's a popular Ocean Trail that skirts the ocean and rocks for several miles. I walked a short section; it was beautiful.


     The gravel-packed Carriage Trails (45 miles) for bicycles was too gravelly for me and too crowded, as I tend to go too fast on my motorized bicycle. So instead of biking, I did several hikes. There are 120 miles of various hiking trails; I did only five of the many loop trails.
     My favorite hike was Eagle Lake to Connors Nubble, on the suggestion of a father/son duo team I had met on the bus. I'm glad I took their advice, it was a great trail. It started low along the lake, then to the top of that mountain in the center of the photo and down another trail. I heard two loons on the lake. They sounded like an oboe, very instrumental and lovely.


The northern view from the top.


The southern view from the top.


Nature changed as I ascended. At the bottom, spruce saplings.


Higher up, gnarled trees struggling to survive.


Lots of roots and rocks. Had to keep my eye on the "blue rectangle" to make sure I was still on the trail.


Wild blueberries at the top! nice reward :)


The trail was sometimes difficult.


Fortunately, I had hiking poles.


         By my third day in Acadia National Park, my mind had done a 180-degree change of perspective. Instead of growling under my breath about all the waits, traffic and crowds, I was now marveling about how efficiently our government employees were helping two million folks enjoy the outdoors at Acadia each year. 
     What changed my mind? Talking with folks on the bus and at the campgrounds. Every single person, young, old, middle-aged, said they loved Acadia and with smiles on their faces (pointing to their young and old kids), proudly proclaimed they've been coming here for years with their kids. Their kids seemed happy and talkative about the trails, too. That's when I realized, all that matters is families are having memorable times. For the rest of their lives, they will probably talk about their adventures at Acadia, on the trails or on the rocks or on the ocean or lake in a boat. The hustle and bustle now seem insignificant and meaningless, eh? 

     By the way, Seawall Campground (on the western lobe of kidney-shaped Mount Desert Island) isn't as busy as Blackwoods Campground (on the eastern lobe of the island). However, most of those wonderful trails to hike and bike are on the eastern lobe of the island. First four nights were spent at Blackwoods, and last two nights were at Seawall. Below is Southwest Harbor (a little village near Seawall) on an early evening of rare rain.



4 comments:

  1. Arcadia is a beautiful park - more than makes up for the crowds. And, as always, you were able to get away from the congestion. Spectacular views from the mountain top!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the Chef's comments, You do a great service to we who remain in the ordinary of life.
    Regards, George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you George, hope you're staying high and dry in Texas.

    ReplyDelete