Wednesday, August 24, 2016

One Day in Quebec City

     Last summer when I was in Montreal for a week, I didn't have time to include Quebec City on my travel agenda. But I did have time this summer. Quebec City, capitol of the Quebec Province, is on the northern shore of the Saint Lawrence River.


     I took Kevin and Ruth's advice and parked on the southern side of the river and took the ferry to the city. I missed this ferry by one minute but the ferries run every 15 minutes.


     Did you notice that big hill in the first photo above? When I disembarked the ferry, I walked up about 300 steps to the visitor's center. I was glad I didn't bring my bike. This is not a bikeable city.


My first impression? Very touristy.


     At the visitors center, the procedure is similar to our Social Security Offices; take a number and wait for the first available assistant to help you.


     With my map in hand, I began walking. This is the parliament building for the Quebec Province; currently being refurbished, to be completed in 2019.


Beautiful brownstone rowhomes . . .


     And as is typical in France, buildings are built with bridges for traffic; probably initially for horse and buggies and now vehicles. 


There were many horse and buggy vendors.


     I was impressed with this horse and buggy because the horse patiently parallel parked, back and forth one step at a time, until it was aligned to the curb. The horse got a sugar cube as a reward.


More sights . . .


A restaurant with open windows . . .


     By now, I was getting weary of the very touristy city. I took refuge at the Notre Dame Basilique and reflected on all the vendors hawking their wares.



     Fortunately I had a Plan B. I had brought my bathing suit and towel. Back at the visitors center where I again took another number, I was informed where the indoor swimming pool was located. Turns out, just walking to the indoor pool was a godsend. I got further away from the tourists and began to enjoy the city.





Not sure what some of these official buildings are . . .


     Most had signs explaining what it was, but I noticed that if it was a provincial building (Quebec Province), the sign was in French only. If it was a national building, the sign was in French and English.



This was an 18th century monastery and now a college of architect studies.



     This stone marks the burial location of our General Richard Montgomery. If you want to know how and why our American general is buried here (at the request of his descendants, his remains were left in Canada), click here for his fascinating life story.


     It was here at this stone, that I met Gail and her daughter Margaret from St. John, New Brunswick. What was remarkable about meeting them was Gail's knowledge of the War of 1812 (putting me to shame), and Margaret's recent completion of the Ironman competition at Mont Tremblant. Last summer my sister, her hubby and I were in Mont Tremblant a few weeks before this very popular annual competition was held so I was familiar with it. Margaret swam 2.4 miles in a cold lake, biked 112 miles in hilly terrain, and ran 26.2 miles! in 10 hours and 59 minutes!



     My feet were pretty tired by mid-afternoon. I packed my lunch, and was enjoying my lunch and watching people while sitting on a park bench. Donated my apple to this friendly horse.


The city is very hilly . . .


Took the funicular down the hill to the ferry port.

     On the other side of the river at the ferry dock is a water fountain park.


Kids having fun.


I enjoyed Quebec City (and a swim) for one day, too.

5 comments:

  1. Terri, I visited the city in 1967 as a French language McGill University student tourist. Loved the old city. We stayed at Chateau Frontenac (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_Frontenac).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you spent time in Montreal and Quebec City eh? I love Montreal, spent a week there last summer. It's a vibrant city with music and restaurants, best seen by bike or walking.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sherman, are you planning another float trip for September? Let me know, I'll be down your way in a couple of weeks. Email me at trecilla@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Glad that you ended up enjoying Quebec City. Too be honest we like it more than Montreal, to us it had a very European feel to it. And, yes it can be touristy, nice that you were able to find some areas that weren't so busy.

    Did you sleep the night at the parking area by the ferry?

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had parked and slept at the hospital parking lot just up the hill from the lot you guys parked at; my price was $12 for 24 hrs parking and the lot down the hill was charging $8 for each 12-hour shift (total of $16 to sleep there, too). So, I decided to walk up/down the hill from the hospital.

      Delete