Friday, May 5, 2017

Cold Springs in Hot Springs, Arkansas

     From central Louisiana, I programmed my GPS the shortest way to Hot Springs, Arkansas. Surprisingly, most of the roads were designated as "Heritage Civil War Trails" and "Arkansas Scenic 7 Byway". The entire drive was scenic and pleasurable; mostly wooded, hilly roads. And best of all, I had the roads practically to myself.



     But the only springs I visited once in Hot Springs, Arkansas, were cold ones . . .  they were all trickling down the Gulpha Gorge, filling the Gulpha Creek.


     I drove past the famous "Bathhouse Row". But, illogical street designs, traffic, tourists and archaic coins for parking meters discouraged my curiosity. Instead I took advantage of a cool sunny Tuesday morning to hike a nearby 3-mile loop. It began at this Gulpha Creek stepping stone bridge at the Hot Springs National Park.


     I passed these folks, about a dozen who all looked my age, at the start of the loop trail. But they took a left, and I took a right.


     The Gulpha Gorge Trail is aptly named; high canyon-like rock walls next to the trail (lower right photo is the trail).


    The Goat Rock Trail is also aptly named; very rocky and steep (far left is the trail). Those yellow flowers, by the way, are blooming a month earlier than normal, according to two hikers (local women, about my age) who frequently walk trails at the Park.


Observation deck on the Goat Rock Trail . . . . great view.


     Once out of the gorge and over the ridge line of the North Mountain, the scenery and footing changed. I revelled in all the fantastic greenery.


     I again passed the same senior group near the end of the loop, and realized they had walked the same loop in reverse. They took the very steep heart-throbbing way up and the slow incline down. I had taken the slow incline up and the very steep way down because I'm a wuss.


     Alittle chit-chat reveals they're members of the Ouachita Mountain Hikers Club and live in the Hot Springs area. Oh, so you all hike every Tuesday morning, I asked? No, they replied, three times a week if possible, even in winter months!

     Rainy weather was forecasted (again!). Didn't want to be in town, so I continued on the Scenic 7 Byway north to River Road Campground at Nimrod Lake near the dam (click here for map location). There were two locations to camp, one below the dam where there were posted signs about sirens warning of high-water dangers, and one above the dam. Decided to camp above the dam to be on the safe side!


     And it did rain most of the next day and the next evening and the following day, followed by a windy cold front.  La Lair and this Airstream had the 21-campsite place to ourselves.  


     My head was singing Van Morrison's song "Days Like This" while I busied myself inside La Lair, reading two books, playing chess, cooking (invented "non-gluten pizza soup"), quicky bike ride between two storms. But fortunately, I had electricity and heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment