Friday, May 19, 2017

West of the Continental Divide

     This morning I was the first visitor at the Great Sand Dunes National Park.



     From there, I took dirt roads and county roads further west. Between mountain ranges, there are lots of irrigated crops.


 Ribbons of Aspen trees are leafing-out in the pine forest.


Aspens leafing-out everywhere!


Road construction mandated one-way traffic here.



And when did it snow? Last night? I approached Wolf Creek Pass (elevation 10,857 ft) with some concern.


This is the Great Divide; it was icy, 28 degrees, and when I saw a snowplow and salt truck, I was even more concerned!


     I wasn't expecting ice! On the western side of the Great Divide, a nine-mile downhill ride and a nerve-wracking switchback (click here for map where I took photo below). I colored the semi-tractor trailer red on the upper road; see it?



     Just arrived at Durango and will spend the weekend here. For the next four months, I will be on the west side of the Continental Divide.




1 comment:

  1. Glad you are at town, safe from those icy roads. Beautiful scenery, but still need to be cautious. We had hailstones last night here at Maryland ! Unusual !!

    ReplyDelete