Monday, August 28, 2017

From the Monterey Peninsula through the Santa Lucia Range to the Vineyards

     A recent road-trip (click here for map) from the Monterey Peninsula . . . .



to Lovers' Point . . 



. . . . to the many vineyards on the east side of the Santa Lucia Range was spectacular!



     I don't play the lottery but I found myself dreaming of what I'd do if I won $500 million. I'd buy a historic cottage in Carmel by the Sea, a cattle ranch in the Santa Lucia Range, and a vineyard on the other side of that mountain range; all within the wonderful Mediterranean climate. I suppose that makes me a fair-weather bourgeoisie?


     The touristy areas of the Monterey Peninsula are the well-known Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf, and Aquarium. I didn't visit those places (lots of traffic and tourists). Instead, I drove on tiny little streets in the village of Carmel by the Sea. This historic village is trendy, walkable and bikeable. Each little home with its incredible landscaping is an architectural wonder. Unfortunately, I was driving a large van on busy tiny streets with no parking available (couldn't stop to take photos). But to understand my fascination, click here for a satellite street map and use your mouse to walk your way down any street to view these homes (use lower right icon to change left/right views).


     The Monterey Peninsula also includes the cute little village of Pacific Grove which has a "Carnegie Library" (above photo). Between 1883 and 1929, many towns received a Carnegie grant to build or update a local library. During the past three years of my travels in La Lair, I've visited quite a few of Carnegie-funded libraries and they're architectural wonders. Delightful hours doing travel research, catching up on emails and writing these posts via free WiFi are spent at these beautiful libraries. But, back to my road-trip.


Carmel Valley Road is a bicyclist's dream. I saw more bicyclists than vehicles on this road.



The road twisted and winded around the Santa Lucia Range.


I parked several times along the road to savor the view.



   What is this beautiful yellow grass? I emailed that question to the Monterey County Extension Service and they replied it was mostly wild oats with a bit of soft chess, and probably some annual fescues.


     These golden fields are just stunning. Click here for one of my favorite songs written by Sting, but Eva Cassidy sings it the best, "Fields of Gold".


Saw lots of turkey and quail.



     This cattle ranch has a small vineyard planted on the hill (photo below). A homemade private wine collection?



I'd be sipping my homemade wine at 7 PM when the sunset turns the yellow grass golden.



Over a one-lane bridge . . .


. . . to admire outcroppings.


Around another bend . . . 



to another spectacular view.


Too much beauty!


I beg the sun to please don't set yet, I want more!


But my perfect road-trip ends too soon.


4 comments:

  1. In a past life (military), I spent time around Carmel. Remember the area well. It is indeed gorgeous. You have done well representing it with your beautiful photos. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hunter Liggett Military Grounds? I passed by their property, no one was home, all seemed abandoned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunter Ligget and Fort Ord, mostly Fort Ord. But I got pretty familiar with Carmel; at the time it was quite the Artist community. Not sure if that still exists. Lots of sculpting, pottery, and painting.

      Delete
  3. Really great write-up and pictures of this part of S. CA! I always have had an image in my mind of S. CA. being nothing but overcrowded and bustling. So thanks for the new images!!

    ReplyDelete