Monday, August 7, 2017

The Loch Quigg Monster

     Looks like a good place for a mysterious sea creature to live, eh?


But the only monster here has been periodic smoke from Canada's wildfires. 



     I lucked into a campsite at Friends Landing near Aberdeen. No, not Aberdeen of Scotland, but Aberdeen in the state of Washington. See La Lair's campsite near "Loch Quigg" in photo above?


     If there's a good place to hunker down and endure smoky skies from Canada's wildfires, this is it. Plus, there's a YMCA indoor pool nearby! 



     There's a wonderful loop trail to/from the campground (1.7 miles) around "Loch Quigg". 



     It's a good trail to leave the poles at home and do speed walking, arms crooked and pumping (click here for map).



It's a wetland marshy area, hence the boardwalks.



     On the south side of the campground is the Chehalis River just prior to entering a large bay (Grays Harbor) and the Pacific Ocean, which makes it a tidal river. Lake Quigg, fed by the river, also rises and falls about seven feet, in synch with the river.



   Couple days ago I paddled almost five miles across the river and into Preacher's Slough which is inside the Chehalis River Surge Plain Natural Area Preserve (click here for my slough route). Didn't take the camera with me as my hands/gloves are constantly wet plus there's always the possibility of an unexpected dunking.



     Yes, I agree, many disadvantages of such a minimal watercraft. It's technically a waveski for oceans, flat on bottom with a little fin to keep straight, 8 feet long, barely six inches deep, easily turns turtle when paddler isn't balanced. But the advantages are I can carry it on my shoulder (seatbelt doubles as shoulder strap), slide it in and out from under my bed inside La Lair, and paddle anywhere anytime lickety-split during my travels -- and wear my wetsuit if the water is too cold.
     
     Hopefully in a few days the "monster" will totally disappear and I'll be on my way down Oregon's coastline.

No comments:

Post a Comment