Thursday, August 3, 2017

Smoke Gets in My Eyes

     Twas about to enjoy a cool breezy coastal drive down the Pacific Coast for a month. Do a few hikes and maybe a bit of paddling in the ocean. But a wildfire in Canada is blowing smoke over Washington and Oregon. I can barely see beyond the breaking waves. It'll last for another five days.


     And there's a heat wave, too! It's normally in the low 70s but it's getting to the low 90s along the coast.


Spent last night on the Quinault River (click here for location). Closed all La Lair's windows for the night.


When I woke up (photo above) it was still smoky.

Saw a HUGE tree nearby. Dare I claim it's 1,000 years old?


It's completely covered with mossy plants to the very top.

     Plan A is squashed (click here for air quality warnings) so it's Plan B -- Library and YMCA pool, Jacuzzi, and treadmill at Hoquiam, Washington. What a bummer :(
     


2 comments:

  1. I dare say you may be under-estimating the age of that ancient beauty! Trees, especially very old ones, have a certain nobility to them, n'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui! in fact Chef Renauld mentioned the same thing to me, that stunning tree has so much character! Told him I almost felt like knocking on its surface, "Anyone home in there?" and I wouldn't have been surprised if a zillion little creatures popped out of the mossy plants and replied "Who goes there?"

      Delete