Thursday, July 7, 2016

Beating the Heat Wave

     When I said "au'voir and adios" to my parents, sister and brother-in-law near Baltimore, Maryland, I was looking at a stretch of 90-degree heat before me.  I had planned to bike the Torrey C. Brown Rail Trail just north of Baltimore, but the heat was oppressive. I stopped at Bicycle Connection in Cockeysville where the trail begins. I asked them if the trail was shady, scenic and worthwhile on such a hot day. They said "Yes!" on all three counts. So that sealed the deal, I would bike despite the oppressive heat. I parked at the busy trailhead. But oddly, I didn't see many folks on the trail for the next three hours.



What a pleasant surprise to feel cool thermals on this trail with ferns.


Several rock outcroppings, too, with more cool thermals!


A very pleasant shady woodsy bike ride, 20 miles up to the Mason-Dixon Line, and 20 miles back.


Several bridge crossings, too, over streams and creeks. Saw a few paddlers and tubers, too.


Lots of little villages along the trail with old historic homes.


Between these little villages with historic buildings and homes were woodsy country roads with one-lane bridges.



Stopped at one of the cute little villages, Parkton, where I met these two bicyclists.


The "pedestrian-only" bridge is over 100 years old. A woman who lived near the bridge was decorating the bridge for an upcoming "Bridge Party".


It was an enjoyable 40-mile bike ride to beat the heat.

3 comments:

  1. You are missing, as planned, one hot day after another here in Texas.
    Enjoy the better weather, as I know you do!

    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, checked my Texas neighborhood's weather, said "feels like 108" yesterday! Not missing Texas' summers at all :)

      Delete
    2. Well now - this day of riding, rafting, and hiking will be one to remember! Who would have guessed that Pennsylvania could be so beautiful?

      Delete