Monday, July 11, 2016

The Lehigh Gorge in Northern Pennsylvania

     Since my favorite sports are paddling, riding and hiking, I signed-up for a "Big Day Out". Pocono Biking would provide three meals, a 25-mile bike ride, an 8-mile rafting trip down the Lehigh River, and a hike to an overlook. There were 40 of us. We all got fitted with a rental bike. Yes indeed I can ride a regular non-electric bike!


     Within the first 100 yards of the Lehigh Gorge Trail, I was smitten. Many rock outcroppings, little water falls, and zillions of Rhododendron blooms.


For the next 25 miles, blooms and more blooms and more blooms.


And fantastic outcroppings. The tree is straight, the rocks are crooked.


And pink colored rocks.


And pretty tree trunks.


And fern-infused hills. 


All 40 of us stopped here; this little lady couldn't turn off her iPhone.


We visited an old lock and dam along the river.


This was an interesting pair.


See anything dangerous in this retaining wall along the trail?


Here's a close-up of the Timber Rattler.


Click here for an explanation of why rattlers are symbolic on flags.




We finished our bike ride at an abandoned railroad tunnel and began our hike.


And the hike too included zillions of blooms!


When we reached the overlook, folks crowded for their chance at the overlook ledge for the pre-requisite photo.


Then all 40 mostly novice paddlers boarded rafts. Fortunately, the section we paddled didn't require any experience.


I would have preferred to paddle my ski and be with these folks however.


The next day, I returned to do the northern section of the bike trail; eight miles up and back. It wasn't as nice, but it was woodsy.


No Rhododendrens, but these flowers were a good consolation prize.


Looked for a moose in a pond called "Moose Lake".


The classic woodsy ferns were everywhere.


I said "Adios" to the Lehigh Gorge, a beautiful part of Pennsylvania, and then headed north through the Susquehanna Valley.


    From the quaint historic town of Jim Thorpe, driving north, I eventually found myself in another historic town called Towanda. I stopped in Towanda to use their library to write this post. From the moment I crossed the Susquehanna River and drove into Towanda, I was amazed at the well-preserved historic buildings. They're repairing the courthouse's rotunda. Inside, it's beautiful but they wouldn't allow cameras inside.



     This town is not only revitalizing its historical buildings, but lots of folks are walking downtown. It appears to survive with little mom and pop businesses. The town's library where I am writing this post, has a slate and copper roof.


Here's the front of the library.


Frank Welles had a successful career with Western Electric in Belgium and France. His grandparents built this home in 1814 across the street from the library.


     On my walk to the library (there is no parking lot), I approached a group of kiddies and their teacher on the sidewalk and asked if that building was the library, because it sure didn't look like a library to me. They assured me it was the library (belatedly saw the explanatory sign in front). I casually asked where they were all headed this beautiful afternoon. They said "Swimming at the Y". I stopped in my tracks, "There's a YMCA pool here?" And they said Yes! Well, well, well . . . I think I'll spend another day here!


5 comments:

  1. Terri, glad to see you are "on the road again". Were the rhododendrons fragrant or just gorgeous? Thanks for the shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and commentary! Hope all good luck travels with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful bike ride. Along with the hike and the rafting what more could you ask for. I love seeing all the greenery, hills and trees, sorta missing some of that here.

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the greenery is fantastic in northern Pennsylvania and upstate New York. I'm not in a hurry to leave this area.

      Delete