Monday, July 25, 2016

Verd Mont

     Vermont was named "Verd Mont" by a French explorer in 1647, meaning Green Mountain. Vermont has lots of well-cared-for green fields too.




     I stayed one night in the driveway of Boondockers Dave and Lori who live south of Barre, Vermont. Her beautiful flower garden is typical of most flower gardens I've seen in Vermont.



I visited the Rock of Ages quarry near Barre, and learned there's enough granite there to last another thousand years or so. It will be another two or three years just to work their way down one wedge length at a time.




I snorkeled all of 15 minutes in this nearby cold quarry! The only other brave swimmer was a Labrador dog.


     Visited Lake Groton and its sister Ricker Pond near Groton, Vermont, to bike a trail. That morning when I unloaded my bike, there were winter clouds in the sky! I had slept with two blankets, too.


It was so cold, I made soup for breakfast.



     I biked about five miles out and back on the Cross Vermont Trail section that parallels Lake Groton. It was rocky with too many stones; my eyes were glued to the bad trail and couldn't enjoy the views. Most unique were these boulders covered with an unusual plant or fungi.



     After the bike ride, I walked back to Ricker Pond and snorkeled. Saw lots of underwater weeds similar to miniature kelp, no fish and one little turtle. Its no wonder fishermen are always snagging a tangled mess of weeds! Fortunately, the water was warmer than the quarry water.


Back in La Lair, I took a scenic route to New Hampshire which also has a lot of granite quarries. 


And a lot of "verd monts".


      On a bridge over Baker River at Wentworth, New Hampshire, I looked over and saw these folks. Made a U-turn and went back to that waterfalls because I was curious.


     I asked a very pregnant swimmer (due last week!) if this was a natural falls, because it was the most beautiful swimming hole I've seen in awhile. She told me that Mr. Page, a local citizen now deceased, had donated equipment and concrete to move and reshape the falls for swimming. What a great gift, and absolutely no maintenance!
  


The world needs more civic-minded folks like Mr. Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment