Tuesday, July 19, 2016

New York State of Mind

     Sometimes I program my GPS that results in seasonal dirt roads. This way, I can stop whenever and wherever. No vehicles in front or behind me.


Around almost every bend in upstate New York is a barn.



And a mountain . . .


A barn every half-mile it seems.


My average speed is about 15 mph.


Seasonal roads have been in excellent condition.


Stopped at a cemetery on a hilltop to fix lunch.


View from cemetery.


Studied this 9' 5" clearance sign for awhile and decided not.


     I pass through small towns, too. This bicyclist had a 2-foot bar attached perpendicular to her bike with a 3-point halter on her very obedient dog. The dog had learned to keep her speed and to stop when she stopped.


I love old wood frame structures. This church is in Hartwick, New York, built in 1854.


     Historic homes are beautiful, but since I previously owned a 1913 Tudor style rowhome in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, I no longer want the responsibility and cost of maintaining old homes. If you look closely, you'll see tons of repair work needed on these lovely old homes.


Interesting slate roof design below, but see the previous repairs? My 1913 home had a slate roof, too, and it's a major problem to get matching slates and roofers who do slate repairs.


Even the stately masonry stone homes need work.


Love this one, but oh, so much work!


These old homes usually have great old trees in the front yard.


Vermont is coming up next . . . .

1 comment:

  1. God ya just got to love that country! The mountains, the forests, the fields, the barns, and those beautiful old houses. Great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete