Friday, July 29, 2016

Old England Names in New England

     I'm subconsciously acquiring a British accent. Almost every town in New Hampshire and Maine has a sister town in England. Driving through Sandwich, New Hampshire, I came upon this unique miles long granite wall.



     A lady driver stopped to tell me about this wall when I was taking the photo. The Great Wall of Sandwich has an interesting story behind it; due to an eccentric person of course!

     I passed a lot of ponds and lakes in New Hampshire, expecting to see a moose. There were plenty of "Moose Crossing" signs on the roads. But no moose sighting :(  Got my ski out of La Lair and paddled a lake close to the shoreline, expecting to see a moose. But still no moose.

     As you've probably guessed by now, I avoid crowds. Biking the "Back Cove" was as close as I wanted to get to Portland, Maine. Cities are peaceful from afar.


My travel style is a trail in a rural area, preferably in an old forest. This is the Mayor Baxter Woods Park near Portland, Maine. This knobby old tree is over 200 years old.


This is the Mackworth Island Trail.  The trail surrounds the island which sits high on the Presumpscot Bay.


     Tidal waters rise about eight feet each day around the island. I saw lots of little grounded boats during low tide. These kayakers found a pretty cove.


     Tremendously enjoyed this heavily forested 1.25 mile island trail; there was an aura of good fairies living secretly in the woods! I suspect other folks enjoy the island for the same reason I did. It's far far away from the maddening crowds.


Lots of sailboats everywhere in every direction.


A good view of Fort Gorges from the island, too.


Here's a close-up shot of this derelict fort.


     On the island trail I met a couple who advised me to visit Pine Point Beach for its unique white sandy beach, which I did the next day. But when I saw crowds of families and kiddies walking toward the beach with chairs and coolers and surf boards, I immediately left! Aye Mates, not me style! What I found instead that is my style is Bath. Saving Bath for my next post.


  

2 comments:

  1. Things that I most enjoyed in this blog are: The forested trails (so inviting), the beautiful old stone wall, the historic fort with the lighthouse in the background. It almost looks like trees growing on top of the fort??
    Onward to "New Scotland"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sod they used to protect the gun emplacements are now overgrown with bushes and saplings and little trees. Yes Chef Renauld, onward to New Scotland AKA Acadia! Had to split my reservations at the Acadia National Park into three separate campsites, two days each :) from August 6 to 11.

      Delete