Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Canada's Kootenay National Park

     Near the headwaters of Kootenay River in Canada is Kootenay National Park.  One of the main attractions of this park is its' Radium Hot Springs. I don't normally visit hot springs (skipped them in Arkansas, too). Unless it's a natural setting, I find them too boring. I can't "sit" and do nothing.
     But Radium Hot Springs boasted two pools, one hot and one "cool" for swimming. That's all it took to get me excited. Plan A; spend all day at Radium Hot Springs, interchanging between the cool pool to swim laps and the hot pool to warm up my body and muscles. I paid about $30 for a campground nearby and walked a trail to Radium Hot Springs.


It's an easy-footing trail; but lots of steps up and down.


An overlook with snowy peaks of course . . .


I was the only one on the trail.


The trail skirted steep mountain sides; these rock croppings are on the other side of the gorge.


It was one of those "rare" spiritual forests. Below photo shows a small grove of old cedars.


It was a quiet trail, too.


    Half an hour later I was at Radium Hot Springs. I changed into my suit, put on my mask/snorkel (have been swimming with mask/snorkel for 20 years, click here for description of benefits). I usually swim non-stop for an hour, alittle over one mile. But two minutes into my swim, the lifeguard flagged me down and told me I couldn't swim with my snorkel! This isn't the first time I've butt heads with Canadians about "rules" of swimming. They're a bit behind the times. So I asked for my money back because none of their brochures said "no snorkels". They gave me my money back.
     I showered and changed back into my street clothes. I backtracked this same beautiful trail to the campground, but I was feeling annoyed and irritated. And on the trail, I see this plaque on a rock that I had missed on the way to the Hot Springs.


     See the advice? Keep peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others. It made me smile! When I got back to the campground (about Noon), I peacefully requested a refund on my campsite because I was ready to go onto Plan B. They gave me my money back. And Plan B turned out to be the best plan (my next post).
     


2 comments:

  1. Curious. Were you given any explanation as to why you are not allowed to swim with a snorkel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lifeguard told me someone previously got hurt with a snorkel so they banned all snorkels. How can I argue with ignorance? Too far beneath my dignity.

      Delete