Thursday, June 29, 2017

Escape from Canada's Highway One

     I was not a happy camper on Canada's Highway One. There were tidbits of excitement along the way. This is the "Natural Bridge".  See how the river carves its way through the small opening? That's the "bridge" carved by Kicking Horse River. Takes a bit of imagination, don't you think?



Tour busses and motorhomes were congesting the small parking lot so I didn't hang around very long.


     Where I could, I'd pull off the highway to admire the scenery (and re-collect my inner peace).


     I always dreaded getting back on Highway One. Too much traffic. Not so bad in these photos; it was about 8 PM and traffic was thinning out. The days are long in the northern hemisphere. Doesn't get dark until about 10 PM.


     A road sign said "Hemlock Grove Boardwalk" just a short distance ahead. So I pulled in under a canopy of large trees and surprisingly, Highway One almost disappeared. Lower center of photo below shows tunnel-like entrance/exit to Highway One.


I was the only one in the parking lot. Peace at last!


Isn't this entrance to the Hemlock Grove Boardwalk a great invitation to explore a forest?


I loved this place.




Many happy ferns (and one happy pedestrian).


Twas a soulful experience.



Couldn't see or hear Highway One at all.


I lingered here awhile.



     Back on the dreaded Highway One, not too far from the Hemlock Grove, I saw a road sign "Giant Cedars Boardwalk" next right turn.


Doesn't this also look like an entrance to a fantastical forest?


     The reason for the boardwalk is because this forest thrives on spring-fed soggy soil. There's a constant sound of trickling water.


Whoever designed this boardwalk is an artist.


And whoever built this boardwalk loves challenges.


I can appreciate the skills and tools the builder used to shape the boardwalk to the trees.



Huge giants!


Another giant (but not a cedar).


See this couple? She's reading the info board.


     We crossed paths and began an instant like for each other. There are just some rare chance meetings like this which blossom into great conversations and rapport. They saw my "Texas van" in the parking lot. She asked me lots of questions and when I confessed I hadn't a clue where I was going next, they came up with a travel agenda for me! She said, "You'll like these little towns with earthy people." He said there were several ferries on this route. Sold!



     And so at their advice, I spent the night at Revelstoke which is a cute little town near snowy Mount Revelstoke. The town is somewhat touristy due to nearby Mount Revelstoke National Park. But it's the quintessential village at the base of large snow-peaked mountains.


That green area lower center (above) is the town's ball fields.


And this is the Columbia River Park, a short walk from their recreation center.



The next morning was overcast but it blew away.



     I swam an hour in the recreation center's heated indoor pool (with my snorkel) and spent much-needed time relaxing in their Jacuzzi. And fortunately, the library and WiFi are inside the same building as the recreation center.

     Today I will visit Mount Revelstoke National Park. But tomorrow, thanks to the wonderful Canadian couple I met at the Giant Cedars, I've got a travel plan far away off-Highway-One! I'm once again a happy camper :)

No comments:

Post a Comment